Breakfast Quesadilla

7/6/2026

Breakfast Quesadilla

I made the above quesadilla on the 1st of the month, but am just now posting about it. I didn't want that day's breakfast to be overlooked! I am sure you will agree that this quesadilla doesn't look very glamorous, but how glamorous can you make a quesadilla look? It was tasty I can assure you, spread with pesto and cheese and layered with scrambled eggs and spinach. Again, trying to get the leafy greens into his diet as much as possible.

Keshav did work today, on the 6th, and I made him a breakfast biscuit sandwich, but I guess it is fair to not post that picture because he didn't actually eat it--he gave it to me. He said he was still full from the mac-n-cheese he warmed up late last night. I didn't take it personally, and I did enjoy eating it to tell you the truth. I was able to check my breakfast off the list and put a nap in that calendar spot.

*

Yesterday was the 4th of July, and also the 250th Anniversary of the formation of the United States. Although many have mixed feelings about celebrating these days, I still love living in the U.S. and took advantage of the holiday to have some fun. Keshav and I and my friend Dave went to a club called Hotdog in the evening. It is held on the outside patio of a restaurant in Silverlake called El Cid. 

While festive, it was very crowded and the music was so loud you had to yell to be heard, which I hate to do. I also accidentally overdid a pot gummy by having a piece of what I thought was a 10mg gummy, only to realize, as I began to trip, that it was Keshav's 100mg one-piece gummy. I estimate I probably ate about 20 mg or more, especially when I started to lose grip on reality in the club. I notified Keshav and Dave that I was in trouble and they got me out and back home. Fortunately, I was able to stay calm, and just slept it off. Mistakes happen!

Today I set the apartment up for a visit from Melani. She will be her through Thursday morning, and we have trips to the museums scheduled during the day, and a risotto dinner on Wednesday night where I also invited out mutual friends Dave, Barry, and Eric. Today I made the chicken stock so that it will be ready to go on Wednesday. 

I am going into this visit with an intention. That intention is to be relaxed and enjoy her visit without obsessing about her moving things around or opening the drapes more than I would like. I have no doubt that when Melani makes the risotto on Wednesday that she will destroy the kitchen, but I am hoping that with the prep done ahead of time that will minimize the damage. She is a hurricane, and there is no stopping her. 

I sometimes wonder if Mel and I would be so close if we lived in the same city. She has been on the East Coast since the late 80's, and we were very different people back then when we were running around the streets of San Diego and taking dance classes together. 

Keshav has had his best friend in town for the last two years, but told me he feels their friendship is better when Alex lived back east because there was more intention put on their getting together. In addition, having Alex and his wife so close makes us more familiar with their quirks and communication flaws, some of which are new information even to Keshav. 

Melani and I have a long history, but it has not always been a smooth ride. There are areas where we disagree sharply, and until we found a way to live with certain differences we had periods of non-communication. But at this point she has witnessed so much of my life that I cannot imagine not witnessing more of hers, regardless of disagreements. 

Some issues just aren't that important, you know? She is free to think the way she thinks, and it really doesn't affect me negatively. If it did, I would say something, but when I look at the two of us, it is amazing that we have both thrived as much as we have, given our respective challenging childhoods. That we grew up to be quirky in our own way is no surprise, so that is why I want to keep reminding me of this during her visit. 

Relax, accept, celebrate, breathe. 

The risotto will be fucking amazing.

Comments