Cacio e Pepe Shaved Potato Omelet
This dish was as fun to make as it was fancy. Keshav LOVES Cacio e Pepe, and he always orders it when we are up in Idyllwild having dinner at Ferro Restaurant. So for me this was a no-brainer to make. And he loved it, but true to form he only ate half, so I got to taste it myself!
There are shaved potato pieces sauteed until they start to brown, then the eggs are poured over the potato and Fontina cheese is laid on top of the eggs. Let the eggs cook, fold the whole thing in half, and plate it up.
Because we are trying to eat more heart-healthy, I am limiting him to no more than three eggs a week. I'm not keeping a chart or anything, just trying to be mindful about it--I know that when I am not making him breakfast, his go-to is a bagel with ham and egg.
It's Tuesday, so he may go line dancing tonight after work, but then again he said he might want to just come home. I guess time will tell. I will not join him if he does go dancing because I finish work at 9, and that is too late for me to be going out--I will want to come home!
*
"I want a video chat."
"No email. Call me!"
"You shouldn't be on the sidewalk!"
It seems that lately a lot of people have been trying to tell me what to do. Not asking, but telling. And in every single one of the cases I offer for example above, I did not give them what they were demanding.
Why do people make demands? Well, one reason is because if you instead make a request, you might get told "no". Demands never work, but so many people still resort to them, which speaks more to their desperation than anything. In many cases, demands are made when one is in a state of dysregulation, so they are not exactly thinking clearly. Anxiety and panic can produce demanding behaviors as well, with the thought that if we get what we want the anxiety or panic will recede.
You want to know how to shut me down? Demand something from me. The first demand above was from a prospective client who wanted to chat with me via Zoom before committing to a consultation. I told him he could email me any questions he had, or just bring them to a consultation, since I offer prospective clients 50 minutes of my time when we first meet.
But this was not good enough for him, and he responded by reiterating his desire for a video chat. I listened to my therapeutic spider-sense and wrote him that since I do not offer what he wanted, it is likely we would not be a good fit. Hopefully this works and he looks elsewhere.
You might wonder why I would not just do the video chat and find out what his concerns are. But the reason I do what I do when considering new clients is that it is a way to filter out who may or may not be a good client. If someone is questioning how I do things even before we ever work together, that is not a good sign.
The result of all the recent demands coming my way is that it makes me feel somewhat vulnerable in the world, and makes me want to retreat. It can feel like people are pulling at me, wanting more from me than I am willing to give, when I already give so much. It feels a bit like an attack, where their demand says that what I am offering is wrong, and what they want is right, and that is what I should be offering.
But what is right for you is not necessarily right for me. And if you show no concern for what is right for me, why should I bother to care what you want?
Comments
Post a Comment