Eleven Park Avenue Granola and Apple Slices

5/23/2026

Eleven Park Avenue Granola and Apple Slices

It is clear that the picture above is not of granola and fruit, but rather a very delicious looking burger and a tower of onion rings. But I just could not post another picture of granola and fruit today, especially since I had this picture in my phone! So there you go. And yes there is bacon on that burger.

I will tell you that this batch of granola I served this morning went over better with Keshav than the last--perhaps because I sweetened it a little more--that always helps. And yet he still did not eat it all. But this time I did not have to finish it for him because he likes the milk on the side so I was able to just pour the granola back in the bag. So that worked out. He assured me repeatedly that he liked it better this time, and I have no reason to think he was lying. But he clarified that the granola's sweetness clashed with the apple slices, and when I checked it out myself I had to agree with him. I had not anticipated that, but good to know for next time!

At least he ate all the apple. 

*

Tonight, we had a "date night", which is a cringe-worthy term unless you are actually trying to plan one, then it is a fucking miracle if it actually happens. Our plan was to have a happy hour early dinner in West Hollywood and then see what was going on at the new karaoke bar, Mic Drop, and that is exactly what we did. 

The happy hour meal was at a place called GymBar, so named because they play sports on TV screens. Yes, Virginia, even gays like to watch sports at times. But we weren't there to watch any games, so we chose a table on the patio. The only one available was a "handicapped" table, or so I assumed from the blue wheelchair symbol on the table, but since nobody seemed to need it we took it. I wasn't able to fully let go of my worry that, mid-meal, we would be angrily confronted by someone in a wheelchair for taking their table (I am a rule-follower), but fortunately this did not happen. 

I'm not actually sure what the rules are regarding handicapped spaces, except for when it comes to parking spaces. My understanding is that unless you are handicapped, you should NEVER park in a handicapped parking place--that is just a douchy thing to do! But the rules seem more vague when it comes to other handicap accommodations, such as toilet stalls, dining tables, or seats on the bus. If nobody is using them and they are the only ones available, it seems okay to use them, but is it? 

I had a burger made with beef, the first time I have eaten beef in months, but it was great. Keshav had a turkey burger, oh, and fries. I got the onion rings, which were stacked as you can see in the picture. In reality, we could have shared a burger and side, as it was too much for both of us. American portions are so big unless you are dining in a really nice restaurant. No wonder so many people are overweight. I just can't eat a meal that big anymore.

After we finished out burgers, we walked to the karaoke bar, which had just opened for the evening. There were only a few people there, but already a horrible singer was just murdering the song "Unbreak My Heart". He was so off key it was painful, but still the host told him how much he loved it. I thought to myself, "Why would you say that?"

We got a couple of cocktails and took a table on the outskirts. Keshav sang one song, sitting on a stool, and he did a great job; though the small crowd seemed to like the people who worked the audience more. We stayed only for about an hour before calling it a night. Before leaving, Keshav inquired about rates for reserving a whole private room, as he wants to host his upcoming birthday party at this place. It ain't cheap, but I support whatever he decides because it is his party, and he does love karaoke. 

I hate karaoke. I hate it in the same way I hate when a show audience is invited to "clap along" with the cast during curtain call music. My job as an audience member is to clap, not clap along, and certainly not to perform!! If you don't go along with this you just end up looking like a spoil-sport. This is also why it can be dicey to see a stand-up comic, because comedians often judge how you show up. Here is what they need to get--if I am not laughing, it is not my problem, it is yours--be funnier!

When did it become the audiences' responsibility to support whoever is onstage, regardless of how well they are performing? Didn't audiences used to throw tomatoes at performers when they sucked? And when did enthusiastic applause stop being enough of a gesture of appreciation? Why do we now have to dance and clap along?

Anyway, I think my problem with karaoke is the same problem that Keshav has with how people celebrate Christmas--it feels like forced participation. He did not grow up with the level of Christmas I did, so my somewhat overboard observance of the holiday feels "manufactured" to him, and I get it. Holiday decorations do not guarantee a holiday spirit, nor should they in my book. But I think that people's mostly authentic cheeriness during the holidays throws him--he doesn't trust it. 

This is how I see the crowd at the karaoke bar. They seem like they are trying so hard to have a good time because if anyone actually said, "The drinks are not great and the singing sucks!", they would be seen as a sourpuss for ruining the of a illusion of a good time for everyone else. Granted, I think that most of the people who go to karaoke are actually having a good time, but if that is the case then why do they have to drink so much? You see what I am saying?

At the bar, there was one guy who sang Oops I Did It Again, and he worked his way around the room, holding the microphone out to everyone so they could join in the singing. I thought to myself, "Just kill me now." When he got to us, I pointed him to Keshav, who happily sang the hell out of the lyric. It seems there is no place in a karaoke bar for someone who just wants to sit quietly and watch. 

But I get it. Keshav tells me that at times he feels obligated to join in with me when I am being social in the world, even though I have never stated any such expectation. But the difference is that he feels that he can't just sit and let me be social. He does it to himself, whereas when I am in an audience, I do not put pressure on myself, the performers put it on me. I would happily sit quietly if only they would let me!

Who knew that date night experiences could contain so many contradictions. But we had a good time nonetheless. I like doing things that he likes, and truth be told, he is always just happy that I am there. He never expects me to participate if I don't want to. 

I did take a look at the song catalog, though. And if I am being honest, if I were to practice at home and find a karaoke version in the same key that I had practiced in, I could see myself doing a song or two. I do love to sing, and I have a decent voice. I just need to have rehearsed it. I don't find it entertaining to act like, or look like, a fool in public, no matter how many drinks have been had. That's not right or wrong, it is just me.

Comments