Bacon Breakfast Burrito with Mango Salsa


5/15/2026

Bacon Breakfast Burrito with Mango Salsa

Sometimes I go a little overboard with the recipes, when I already have a ton of food that needs to be used in the fridge and freezer. Today I decided to use up some fridge/freezer food and make this breakfast burrito. I already had the tortilla, eggs, cheese, and bacon, and in the freezer I found a small baggie of leftover french fries from when I last made this recipe. This is why I don't like to throw anything out--you can use everything!

The overboard part was deciding to make mango salsa from scratch, though it was not really that overboard because all I had to buy was a mango and a bell pepper. Oh, and some cilantro. But produce is generally affordable, and I will take any excuse to make mango salsa. 

Unfortunately, Keshav was not in a mango salsa kind of mood. I knew I was taking a risk, because even though he loves mangoes, he is not a big salsa fan for some reason. He will eat it if it is part of how I serve a dish, such as grilled salmon with mango salsa, or if I put it into a burrito, but he won't add it on himself. Go figure. At first I felt like a shmuck for spending the time making it, but then I realized I also did it for myself and guess what now I have a reason to buy some tortilla chips. 

All's well that ends well.

*

I recently did something I never to, which is comment on a post on Instagram. The post was a video of my husband being asked what he thinks Love is, and he tells the interviewer about how I make him a hot breakfast every morning before he goes to work. He says that I do this because I love him and care for his wellbeing, which is true, but that was not enough for some commenters. One guy wondered what I must get out of it, and suggested that maybe I am taken advantage of or some such nonsense. 

It was clear to me that the commenter knew very little about love, so I felt more compassion for him than anger, but I felt there was an opportunity to share some of what I know and perhaps educate others a bit. Without responding directly to the commenter, I wrote that love is not a scorecard, that all the wisdom traditions I have studied agree that real love is about giving to another, not about taking. We give because it benefits both the giver and the receiver--no further reward is necessary. 

Since I am human, it is always nice when Keshav thanks me for my efforts, but that just lets me know that he notices what I do for him and appreciates it. I do think it is hard to give if one feels taken for granted over time. 

There is something else I get from making him breakfast in the morning. I like to imagine that I am in charge of feeding the "crew" before they start their day, and I relish the dark before the dawn, using the time to prep food before cooking it. I imagine that I run a small cafe, and it gives me great joy and satisfaction to do the small tasks involved with making  a breakfast. It is calming, and I feel both in control but not needing to control, if that makes sense. 

Perhaps this is why I don't care to travel very much. I like being the one who "stays back", tending to the house and garden (if I had a garden!). While everyone else runs around the world, I stay home and sweep the steps, feed the dogs, do the shopping, and watch the sunrise from the kitchen window while I heat up water for my coffee. I don't need to travel far--there is a whole world for me to notice just within my field of vision. My little corner cafe.

*

I will use the leftover cilantro to make chicken taquitos on Monday. I make a large batch and freeze them for Keshav to take for lunch. Homemade is better than those he used to get from Costco. And I will enjoy the mango salsa in a variety of ways this weekend while it is still fresh. 

At the end of the day, I will sweep and mop the floor, wipe the counter, and turn on the multi-color lights in the window, knowing that my tasks are done and I can "close" the kitchen until the following morning. 

This is all the world I need to see.

Comments